Monday, June 25, 2007

My Place

I am required to appreciate what I have
As if somehow I did not
The comparisons that others define me by
Remind me that I have alot

I own my thoughts
Though Im expected to stay quiet
Courage is seen as never anti-social
And society defines me as too poor to riot

Each day is mine
To do with what I will
I trade using what I feel I can afford
and for the air I breathe, I receive a bill

I must remember my place
And remember it isnt mine at all
Views that are seen as valid
Must be coming from people who can afford to fall

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ed! It's good to see that you are still writing! This poem shows how society keeps people in what it sees as their place. I especially liked the line about being too poor to riot. I never thought about it that way, but you are right of course, society expects that some people will just keep quiet no matter what is done to them.

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Ed said...

Hi Bonnie,
Yes, that was my point.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home