Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Holiday Spirit

Today I'd like to talk about holiday spirit.

Tonight there may be shorter than average people showing up at your front door. They will be expecting candy.

In order to obtain this (what seems to be more of tax that you are expected to pay) their role in this collection drive seems to be to appear humble and cute....and to use an expression that (to me) seems tired and worn out. They seem to use this expression with little or no enthusiasm.... as if they don't even seem to know the meaning of the words they are saying. The expression they use is trick or treat.

How is it that by age 14 these little people are listening to Marilyn Manson and are completly educated in how to dress themselves in classic gothic style but at age 10 they are standing at front doors in plastic costumes based on some Disney characters and wimpering the words trick or treat.

Just once I'd like to see somebody at the door covered with real blood, holding their severed head in their hands, and demanding (in a loud shrill voice and cussing alot), "GIVE ME SUGARY SNACKS OR I"LL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!!"

It would be even better if they were wearing lots of black leather.... and a pink skirt....black nail polish would add a nice touch too. Heck, if someone like that showed up at my house on Halloween, I'd give them cash....all I had on me at the time.

Now I don't blame these mild mannered cute little people. They have been trained to act the way they do by parents who dress them this way and then follow along behind them. Sometimes it's their hippie grandparents that go with them. I feel sorry for the little people when I see their grandparents tagging along and they are dressed like Jerry Garcia and Grace Slick....O.K. actually Grace Slick is a good Halloween costume.....and I guess Jerry Garcia isn't so bad either....but as a warlock. NO tie dye and no hemp jewelry.

And to those of you who are giving out treats....remember, sugar and chocolete. Snickers, 3 Musketeers, and Hersey's....but without almonds....and no Mounds. Coconut has nutrients. Halloween has nothing to do with nutrition. Some of these boomers are giving out granola bars and sulphur free papaya spears for crying out loud....STOP IT! It sends the wrong message. Besides, you don't have to deal with them for the next several days while they're hyped up on this junk.

So about autism, diversity, inclusion and all that.... Well, If you've got little people or big people running around your house (some of whom are also kids) remember that they are also people and many will get bigger one day.... So, teach them how to be real and how to have fun.
Happy Halloween! : )


7 Comments:

At 10:49 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

how do a king, a princess, and a bat strike you?
provided I'm still conscious...I'll get a video up tonight.
never forced to dress as a hippie- but my hubby did. my last year trick-or-trating i was a teen. took two little girls with me -they dressed up/i didnt.
"and what are you supposed to be???"
"a pathetic teen out for candy"- i did well.
(my mother was the granola type- i didnt even get sugar cereal till college)

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

also, with 3 out of 5 trick-or-treating this year.
it'll be a sick amount of candy-
they'll be hyped up till thanksgiving!

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Ed said...

Sounds like fun....but that many kids hyped up on sugar for a month....I don't know. Maybe a little bit of granola or fruit may not all bad....:)

 
At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... we had trick or treat yesterday in my city, and I must confess, I was one of those healthy boomers giving out bat-shaped Halloween pretzels.

I thought the pretzels were cute, but then my husband made fun of me for not doing Halloween right and giving out candy! Oh well...

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Neurodivergent K said...

I'm in my 20s and can still trick or treat and get away with it *blushes*. But if I go out I take kids with, and I give the candy away-homeless shelters often have impossibly early curfews for trick or treating, especially if the family has to ride the bus or walk to the nearest neighborhood, & without fail the candy makes me sick anyway.

Worse than dressing as hippies: matching costumes, chosen by a parental unit because "it's so cute".

 
At 1:42 AM , Blogger Casdok said...

Happy Halloween to you to! x

 
At 4:50 AM , Blogger Ed said...

Hi Bonnie,
Your husband makes sense to me. Do Halloween right. Give candy.:)

Hi Kassianne,
Matching costumes? No, No, No. I think you're right .That is worse.

Hi Casdok,
Happy Halloween. Hope you had a nice one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home